Drvenik is a littoral tourist village of the Makarska riviera , about 30 km distant from Makarska . Situated between the steep cliffs of the mountain Biokovo and the coast with beautiful beaches . The village is divided in two parts, situated in two valleys denominated Donja Vala and Gornja Vala. Nowadays Drvenik is a well-known tourist village oriented entirely toward development of tourist industry. Drvenik has about 480 inhabitants and it has available ca. 1600 beds in domestic industry, holiday flats and villas,apartments ,hotels and pensions .
Drvenik is an important traffic center while there is a car ferry landing of the ferry connecting the island of Hvar with the coast. The rich gastronomic offer of Dalmatian taverns and the beautiful beaches in the shade of pines attract an increasing number of tourists to Drvenik inviting them to spend ther holidays there. The history of Drvenik dates far back into the past. On the knoll to the north of the village are the remains of the tower with defense walls dating from the 17th century. A Gothic church of St.
George in Gornji Drvenik under the mount Plano. Its oldest part dates probably from the 15th century. It was several times rebuilt and later on restructured in the baroque style. The old gravestones in the form of standing tombstones were incorporated in its walls. In 1887 the church was expanded to satisfy the demands of the growing population. On the church front there is an eight-petal rose window, and on the top there is an omamented distaff-shaped church-tower with two bells. Inside the church there is a big marble altar with the statue of St.
George on it. After an earthquake in 1962, all inhabitants of Gornji Drvenik moved to the coast, and a new church of Our Lady of the Carmelites was built in 1967. The church is situated on the hill above the road between the two valleys of Drvenik.